Monday, September 04, 2006

Nutty Wheat Rusks

Ingredients:
5 cups nutty wheat
2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 t salt
3 T baking powder
200 ml margarine
2 cups buttermilk
3 eggs

Instructions:
* Melt margarine
* Beat eggs and add buttermilk. Mix dry ingredients. ADd buttermilk and eggs and melted margarine.
* Grease bread pans. Sprinkle flour on hands and roll into oblong balls (like sausage rolls), place next to each other in pan.
* Bake at 180C for 20 to 30 minutes and then separate pieces and dry out overnight at 100C. Close oven but leave slightly ajar.

Stuff I changed:
* I only made a half quantity of this.
* No idea what "nutty wheat" is so I just used wholemeal flour.
* They didn't have buttermilk at the shops, so I used "lite" cream instead.
* Instead of leaving it overnight, I left it for three and a half hours at around 110C.
* I used half white sugar and half brown sugar.

It actually worked out quite nicely. The buttermilk might improve the flavour a bit, but they're mostly okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home